Reminder: The Library will be closed Monday, May 27 for Memorial Day.
Standards of Behavior Policy
It is the policy of the Sonoma State University Library to provide an environment supportive of the needs of library patrons. Library patrons are expected to conduct themselves in a manner that enables patrons and library personnel to accomplish their intended library tasks in a safe, pleasant, and orderly atmosphere. Staff will take appropriate action when patron behavior causes disruption in the delivery of services.
Library patrons shall not:
- Destroy, deface, or illegally remove library materials or property.
- Disturb or harass other patrons or staff by (including, but not limited to):
- Engaging patrons or staff in conversation which makes them uncomfortable, after they have been advised of this fact;
- Engaging in sexually harassing behavior;
- Following patrons or staff throughout the library, on the grounds or in the parking lot;
- Annoying patrons by talking to them while they are trying to read, study or contemplate;
- Abusing, verbally harassing or intimidating patrons or staff.
- Leave children unattended in any area of the library
- Children must be supervised by a caregiver, able to attend to the child's safety and ensure appropriate behavior.
- Library staff does not have custodial responsibility and cannot assume liability for unattended children.
- If a child is found unattended in the library, staff will attempt to locate the child's parent/guardian. If staff cannot locate a parent/guardian, law enforcement officials may be notified.
- Create a disturbance by yelling, running, throwing objects, misusing the library facilities, etc.
- Sell or solicit in the library building, on the grounds or in the parking lot.
- Enter areas marked "staff only".
- Bring pets (except service animals) into the building or leave them unattended on library grounds.
- Come into the library without being fully clothed, including shirt and footwear, at all times.
- Monopolize computer equipment, study rooms, staff support or other library resources when requested.
- Use library phones or personal phones in an inappropriate or disruptive manner.
- Failure to comply may result in the patron's library privileges being limited or revoked or removal of the patron from the building.
- The Library Director or authorized designee, upon staff recommendation, may revoke library privileges for a specified period of time.
- A library patron whose library privileges have been revoked may appeal the decision by submitting their appeal in writing to the Library Director or designee.