Distance Education Students
What Do I Need?
- Registration in an officially designated "Distance Education" program.
- CSU Long Beach's Masters in Social Work joint program
- Educational Leadership Doctoral program
- Hutchins Action for a Viable Future Masters program
- Liberal Studies Ukiah program
- A 14-digit Library barcode (usually from the back of your campus ID card or call the Information/Check-Out Desk at 707-664-2375)
- A Library Password
- A valid email address from an educational institution (.edu)
What Do I Get?
Online access to 100+ databases, over 30,000 online full text journals, approximately 25,000 eBooks, Interlibrary Loan
- Have your Library Barcode and Password on hand
- Go to the Library's Homepage
- Select "All" or "Articles & More" to begin searching
- Enter Library barcode and Password if prompted
- Start searching!
LINK+ Pick up Anywhere
Requests via regular LINK+ are not possible because of the shorter loan period for these items. However if you live near a participating LINK+ Library http://csul.iii.com/screens/members.html you may use a specialized LINK+ service called Pick up Anywhere.
Research assistance is available via the Ask Us link on the home page or through the following links:
- Email--usually within 24 hours.
- 24/7 Help --real time chat with a librarian or library assistant (not necessarily from SSU).
- Phone --immediate assistance during library hours.
- Tutorials on our resources and research techniques are available on How Do I?.
Other CSU Libraries - if you live close to one you may seek research help there. Be advised that any questions regarding database access should be directed to SSU.
We can mail SSU Library books and material borrowed from other libraries to your home address (not PO Box) via UPS. Generally, this service is free. If there is a charge, we will notify you.
Request a book or article
- Fill out the one-time registration form for Interlibrary Loan.
- You must have an .edu email address!
- Specify Doctoral as status, and not just "distance education."
- Fill out an ILL request for each item or follow the FindIt link in the Snoopy Catalog.
- Provide the name CANDEL and your mailing address in the "Special Instructions" box.
- Make sure your .edu email is correct.
- Provide a complete and accurate citation.
Delivery & Returns
- Books will be mailed to you via UPS, with a prepaid return label. If you lose the label, you are responsible for return costs via UPS. Package the book, apply the return label and deposit it in an official UPS drop box.
- SSU books are due in 28 days or the end of the semester. Due dates vary for books from other libraries. The due date is indicated on each item. Information about overdue fines.
- Articles not available online will be mailed to you via US Mail. Your library account will be charged 10¢ per page. You must keep your balance below $10.00.
- Renew SSU books one time through "My Library Account".
- Renew books belonging to other libraries through your Interlibrary Loan account. The new due date will appear in your account.
Students from Other Universities
If you are currently enrolled in a distance education program at another campus of the California State University (CSU):
- You may check out books by showing your current library card or campus ID at the Information/Check-Out Desk.
- CSU students must have a library card or campus ID (from your CSU campus) with a sticker or other indication you are registered for the current term in order to be eligible for services from this library.
- If you are a student in a distance education program at an institution that is not part of the CSU system, we are unable to offer you library services. Please check with your home institution to see what library services they offer.
Note to SSU Distance Education Instructors
If you are an instructor of a distance education course sponsored by Sonoma State University, please contact Felicia Palsson (email@example.com for an update on the services we can provide you and your students.
- It is the instructor's responsibility at the beginning of each term to send us a current roster of students enrolled in your courses. We need these rosters in order to provide services to your students!
The rosters should include for each student: name, address, current email address, phone, last 4 digits SSN and student I.D. number. Please send or e-mail these rosters to Julie Dinkins (firstname.lastname@example.org) at the Information/Check-Out Desk.